Sunday, January 22, 2017

OrangeTheory Fitness Weight Loss Challenge Week 1


Straight up the central focus of 2017 is to transform my body from where it is to where I want it to be: 100 miles ready. Last year brought about the following accomplishments:
  • completing my first 100,
  • completed my first Vertical Kilometer,
  • marathon PR at the Berlin Marathon,
  • half marathon PR at the Humboldt Redwoods Half, and
  • summited Mt. Humphrey (12,633 ft).

Let's face it. Strength training is an important element. So is motivation and finding something that you are willing to do and make sacrifices to do.

Thus, the water-based rower, squat jumps, plyo-step ups, ultimate burpees, TRX exercises like bridge pull ups, single legged, body-weight, and muscle confusion templates (breathe)... Will help my body become fitter, stronger, and leaner. Setting up the table to become a fitter, faster, and stronger road, trail, and mountain runner.

Recap of Week 1

The weigh in took my by surprise.  I figured I'd be around 152 lbs not 159! Then the body fat.
Maybe I was dehydrated and not been drinking enough water, in general, but yo it was an eye opener! Oh and yes I do
now that are perfect ways to measure body fat.  The point was proven.  I have room to improve. 

Monday Power Day with Coach Victoria: 45 splat points, 920 calories burned.

I came into the day low on energy.  Understandable since I ran 19 miles in 3 hours on Sunday after Coach Dubs Endurance day class on Saturday. Power day to me means using my running muscles in a different fashion and activating other muscles. I got a little excited with the beats and it showed as time I spent in the red zone was high. Key movements: row to squat jumps w/10 lb wgt, Plyo-step ups, hop overs, plank punches


Wednesday: Endurance Day with Coach Dan aka Dubs: 31 splat points, 859 calories burned.

I had the major wobbles today.  Walked into the studio as if I had been riding a Burro for 24 hours with no saddle. On Saturday Coach Dubs helped me with my row technique.  The 1 count pause at the end of the pull.  Given how sore I felt I knew I needed a few days off of OTF to recover.  In class I focused on good form.  TRX exercises that stuck out were the split fly/split arm/aligator and the bridge row.  Time spent in the green zone (zone 3) is a metric I am going to keep an eye on. 
Today 19 minutes in the green.


Sunday: Endurance Day with Coach Amber: 33 splat points, 915 calories burned.

Felt much better soreness-wise stepping into class despite yesterday's long run of just under 3 hours and 50 minutes covering 24.3 miles with the last 30 minutes fast finish style aka running harder than I've been for the previous 3hrs.  The 7:30am class was a in 3 group (3G) format which meant quality time with the rower.  So, I started there for the row squat jump combo. We went 800m/14sj- 600m/16sj- 400m/18sj- 200m/20sj and if you got to the bottom before time you climb the ladder back up!  The floor had a bunch of upper body based exercises which is perfect 'cause I need that upper body to scramble up summits!


The Weight Loss Challenge


The challenge lasts six weeks from January 16th thru February 27th 2017.
Rules of the game:

  • Weigh in three times: Pre-challenge, Mid-way, & at completion.
  • Commit to three 1-hour workouts per each week of the challenge (18 total).
  • Only one workout per day will count towards the challenge.
  • Complete the majority of the workouts at your home OTF (varies by studio).
  • Optional: Front, Side, and Back photo (varies by studio).
  • There might be another one but the ones above are the ones I remember.


Pre-Challenge Stats

Saturday January 14th
Weight: 159 lbs
Body Fat: 19%

Tuesday January 17th (Yearly Physical)
158.8 lbs


No comments:

Post a Comment